Notes and Reactions: Microsoft’s E3 Press Conference
Lets be honest, before E3 was kicked off by Microsoft no one had really HIGH hopes for big announcements at this years event. That includes Microsoft, boy was I wrong and probably some others as well. Let’s share notes why don’t we..
+ Gameplay Demo
– New enemies shown
Splinter Cell: Blacklist
+ Gameplay Demo showcased
– The marking system has been enhanced so kills can be performed while in motion if upgraded enough.
– New weapon shown that looks like a crossbow with electric arrows
– Voice command with Kinect
– Spring 2013 release window
Madden 13 & FIFA 13
+ Kinect voice command for subs and tactics as well as reaction to calls in FIFA 13
+ Kinect Voice Command In Madden 13 for play calls and audibles and changes at the line.
- Gears Of War: Judgement Trailer Shown
- Forza Horizon trailer shown has October 23, 2012 release date
- Nickelodeon, Machinima, Univision and Paramount partner with Xbox 360
- NBA Gametime & NHL Gamecenter Coming to Xbox 360
- ESPN being expanded to bring 24/7 live streaming content
- Xbox Music announced for Xbox 360 and Windows Mobile Devices
- Nike and Microsoft Partnering up to bring Nike + Training to Xbox 360 Kinect
- Xbox Smart Glass announced and showcase
+ Smart glass lets you transfer video from your tablet to TV
+ Showed off how the smart glass feature can be used with games on the Xbox 360
+ Internet Explorer coming to Xbox 360 this year
+ Smart Glass to ship with Windows 8 and new windows 8 tablets
- Tomb Raider GamePlay Demo
- Ascend New Gods Trailer with 2013 release window
- Loco Cycle Teased with 2013 Release Window
- Matter teased with 2013 Release window and Kinect compatibility
- Resident Evil 6
+ gameplay stage demo
– Shows Leon fighting through zombies with some counter attacks and melee kills
South Park The Stick of Truth
+ March 5, 2013 release date
Dance Central 3
+ Announcement Trailer
+ Usher Performs his New Single “Scream” which is featured on the game
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
+ Gameplay Stage Demo
Thank god for DVR, because I wasn’t home originally for the live broadcast of the press conference, but I was able to watch it with the magic of DVR! Hooraaaay DVR! Anyways, there were a few things that I liked seeing during this press conference. The first thing, the debut of Splinter Cell: Black List, Sam Fish going around shooting bullets into heads and kneecaps. Making me a fan with all of his stylish moves and stealthy kills, fantastic. The Smart Glass feature being added to Xbox 360 which will take your mobile device and tablets, integrate them with your Xbox 360 system and sync up with each other. So for instance, you’re watching a movie on your Xbox 360, you can stop and continue that movie on your Windows Tablet or Mobile Device. I thought that was a pretty cool feature they announced, even the fact you can use this feature with games which completely changes the way you experience play call in a game like Madden. Speaking of Madden, seeing kinect voice command with both FIFA 13 and Madden NFL 13 was also cool. I liked seeing it used to make subs and tactic changes on the fly without having to bring up the menu or hit a directional button.
As you can tell, Kinect was on everything, from some of your favorite games to things like the introduction of Internet Explorer for Xbox 360. NBA Gametime and NHL Gamecenter both coming to Xbox along with the ESPN App getting an upgrade to carry more live streaming content. I know when the ESPN app first launch, I had a chance to watch a couple of things through my Xbox instead of switching to the channel that carries my cable provider. I can’t wait to see shows like Mike and Mike in the morning on Xbox 360 if I fall asleep with my Xbox on that is.
One last thing I have to mention that I enjoyed seeing during the conference, Resident Evil 6. While Black Ops 2 closed out the conference and Usher danced his ass off to promote Dance Central 3, Resident Evil brought the excitement of Action Survival Horror. The demo they showed was of Leon and his partner after a crash it look like. They both are fighting their way to an extraction point and on the way to that point you see Leon knifing Zombies and using some Devil May Cry like gun-play.
I have to say that Microsoft brought a lot to the table for everyone to digest. Announcements and game-play of games that weren’t announced yet and that were previously announced. They came in and did what was needed of them to do, focus on both entertainment and gaming. This was a good press conference in my book, even without the mention of GTA V or the rumored Mirrors Edge 2.